Monday, December 26, 2011

Eggnog French Toast on Christmas Morning

Here’s wishing everyone a warm, safe, and happy holiday season.  May the New Year bring you health, prosperity, happiness, peace, and love.  May this holiday season become a cherished memory, and may you remember fondly those loved ones who are no longer with us and cherish those who are.     

A hearty serving of Eggnog French Toast on Christmas morning has become a holiday tradition in my home.



Here’s a really basic recipe for Eggnog French Toast.  It’s a good basic recipe because you can change it up to suit your tastes.  I usually just eyeball the spices so it’s a little bit different every time.  Yesterday morning I used some cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.  You can also use French bread instead of regular bread, and I believe there is also pumpkin pie spiced eggnog available that you could use instead of the spices.  I use very little syrup and I don’t sprinkle powdered sugar on it when it’s done like I do regular French toast so that I don’t drown out the spices and eggnog flavor.  I’d like to find a really good topping for this to use instead of syrup.  Maybe some sort of cinnamon sauce?  I think this might be really good with some sort of nuts sprinkled on top as well.  I still have some eggnog left, so maybe I’ll have to experiment a little bit and try a variation of this for New Year’s breakfast.   

2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/2 cups eggnog
1 1/2 T. ground cinnamon
1 t. pumpkin pie spice
12 slices bread

Whisk the eggs, eggnog, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice together in a mixing bowl until well blended.  Pour the mixture into a shallow dish.  

Preheat an electric skillet to 300 degrees F.  Lightly grease the skillet.

Dip each slice of bread into the eggnog mixture, being sure to coat each side evenly.

Place the prepared bread slices into the preheated skillet and cook until golden brown on each side.

Place cooked slices on a serving plate and cover to keep warm until all the French toast is cooked.  Serve immediately.







    

  






No comments:

Post a Comment