Saturday, May 31, 2014

Jerome, Arizona - Part I - Ghost Town and King Mine

The town of Jerome is a copper mining town and is located between Prescott and Flagstaff.  I believe Dad and I visited it the same day we went to Tuzigoot National Monument.  I'm glad we decided to go because it ended up being a really interesting place to visit.  We definitely visited the Gold King Mine and Ghost Town as well as the Liberty Theater.  I'm certain we also visited the Douglas Mansion as well but I can't seem to find my photos of it.  I'll post a separate entry if I find them.  For more information about the town of Jerome, you can visit their website here - 



This is a cute little cafe where we had lunch.


I believe this is the road leading to the Gold King Mine and Ghost Town.


 

This is the entrance to the Gold King Mine and Ghost Town.  It really is a fascinating place - one of the most unique places I think I've ever been.  From the website - "The site is now a museum where visitors can see continuous demonstrations of antique mining equipment and the operation of a turn-of-the-century sawmill daily. Other highlights include walks in an authentic mine shaft, animals to pet and feed, a circa 1901 blacksmith shop, and the world’s largest gas engines."


One of the chickens from the chicken coop.


A very old chair with a sign on it that says "Keep Off Grass."



One of the animals out there one could pet.


I think this is an old mining car.  This entire area just looks like a big junkyard, but it was so much fun to explore!  There was such an interesting mix of things to see.


This is inside one of the many buildings out there.



This guy was such a sweetheart and so much fun to feed.  I fed him a couple of apples while I was out there.


This appears to be an old school room.


This is Dad next to a (very!) old motorcycle.


An old dentist's office.


I think this is overlooking Gold King Mine.


Outside the dentist's office.



Dad is never shy about striking up a conversation with somebody.  It must be where I get it from.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment