Sunday, June 17, 2012

Spur Cross Conservation Area - Part 2 Moonlight Hike on the Tortuga Trail

For the second post in this series on the Spur Cross Conservation Area, I thought I would write about a moonlight hike I once took out there.  This would be my second moonlight hike (the first being on South Mountain) and I couldn’t wait for it.  Hiking in the mountains at night is an amazing experience and the moon provides beautiful (and very reliable!) light.

We all gathered at the Spur Cross Conservation Area before the hike. Just outside of Cave Creek, this is one of my favorite areas in the Valley. I had never been out there as the day is drawing to a close and the area had a different feel to it; quieter somehow. The mountains had a different look to them so I took a couple of pictures before stopping at the Spur Cross Ranch to watch the horses for awhile. The horses, the peace and quiet, and friendly waves from strangers as I passed them on the road all contributed to the small town feel of the area and I felt very far removed from the hustle and bustle of "the big city".

After we had all gathered, the ranger who would lead the hike told us a little bit about the Spur Cross Conservation Area, plans for the area's future, and the trail on which we would hike, which was to be the Tortuga Trail.

I had wanted to hike this trail for quite some time so now I was really excited to get going. Before we headed out, the ranger introduced us to the three volunteers who would be assisting with the hike. He assured us that one of the volunteers would be at the back of the group at all times to ensure that nobody was left behind. He also joked that if anybody was going to be bitten by a snake if would probably be him as he was the first in line.

So then we were on our way. I hiked mainly with some women that I met on a trail a few days before. It was already dark by the time we got started but I had been on the trail that led to the Tortuga Trail before, so I knew my way somewhat. To get to the Tortuga Trail, we had to cross a very narrow portion of Cave Creek by stepping over some rocks. The first portion of the Tortuga Trail (basically an old jeep road) is a gradual climb and was the most difficult portion of the trail.

Once we got to the top of this climb, we stopped to enjoy the view a bit and let the rest of the group catch up. (I must be well on my way to regaining my strength and stamina after being sick. I was never at the back of the group and that's after already hiking North Lookout Mountain - both circumference and summit - that morning!) The ranger told us a little bit about the changes that would be made to the trails in this area and we were on our way again.

I remember a particularly nice view of the moon and mountains at this point. Although I wish I had a nice picture of it, I doubt I'll soon forget it. There are also a large number of large saguaro cactus and some baby cholla cactus along the trail. The saguaros looked majestic silhouetted against the sky, while the baby cholla stood in nature's spotlight.
Because the hike was led by someone who knew what he was doing in addition to ensuring that everyone was accounted for and nobody was left behind, I was able to relax and just enjoy the hike and everything it had to offer. I can't wait until next month's Full Moon Hike!

On the way out to the Spur Cross Conservation Area.



Another view after just rounding the corner above.



A few of the horses that live in the area.


Another shot of the horses.



A nice shot of Elephant Mountain.


So peaceful as the sun is setting.



Some of the group on the trail.



No comments:

Post a Comment