Sunday, June 24, 2012

Spur Cross Conservation Area - Part 4 - A Snake in the Grass

As usual, I had a great time on the Full Moon Hike. There were quite a few people there, but only Roger and I from our group. Because there were so many people there, Kevin told us we'd be hiking on the Metate Trail. We ended up hiking to a spot that overlooks Cottonwood Canyon before turning around and coming back down.

A short ways into the hike, we came upon a Diamondback rattlesnake. I believe I was somewhere in the middle of the group when Kevin saw it. It was lying right by the side of the trail, coiled up. It was in plain sight as there were no trees or bushes around it. Kevin stood by the other side of the trail and we all walked behind him to get by the snake. (I'm positive he was staring at me with his beady eyes as I went by!)

We also saw the cutest little owl off to the side of the trail. Kevin said it was a screech owl; Roger thinks it was a burrowing owl. It was the cutest little thing - so tiny!

A little further down the trail, Kevin showed us a tarantula's hole. We could see a little bit of her in there if we looked right over the hole.

It was starting to get dark as we made our way up to a portion of the trail overlooking Cottonwood Canyon. The view of the moon over the mountains was so beautiful!  We then turned around and hiked back to the parking lot and our cars. I had a great time, as usual.  My one big regret is that I didn’t have my camera with me so I don’t have a photo of that very cute owl or the Diamondback. 

No comments:

Post a Comment